We all love to pamper our skin with creams, moisturizers, serums, and facials, but at the same time, we tend to overlook certain habits that we are doing day in and day out that can ruin our skin. These common mistakes lead to premature ageing, breakouts, hyperpigmentation, age spots, and other skin issues. Surprisingly, without your knowledge, certain habits could be sabotaging your skin, and you need to fix them immediately, so in this post, we list them all one by one.
1. Not Doing Patch Test While Trying New Products: Whenever you try a new product, it’s absolutely necessary that you do a patch test. Do not limit the patch test to bleach, hair dyes, do patch test for every product that goes on your skin. Surprisingly, picking up the wrong skincare and makeup products can do a lot of damage to the skin and that’s why it’s important to test them out inside your elbow, and wait for 24 hours to rule out any skin irritation or allergy.
2. Not Applying Sunscreen: Skipping sunscreen is one of the biggest skincare mistakes we can ever make. Many of us believe that sunscreen is only meant for summers to protect the skin from harsh sun rays, but do wear a sunscreen every time you step out, irrespective of the skin type. You should use a broad spectrum sunscreen every single day with a minimum value of SPF 30. Make sure you apply it every 2-3 hours if you are going to spend time out in the sun for long. Repeat after me, sunscreen is required all around year whether it is hot, cold, windy, sunny or raining! So, try not to forget this one. Here’s a list of “10 Best Sunscreens For Acn-Prone Skin.”
3. Too Much Caffeine/Sugar/Junk Food: Junk food, caffeine, aerated beverages, and refined sugar all raise inflammation in the body. Cutting down sugar will have an amazing reaction on your skin because insulin spikes caused by high refined sugar in the body causes inflammation of skin which leads to premature ageing, wrinkles, acne, and uneven skin tone. If you want to look 10 years younger, then the first thing you should do is eliminate sugar from your system. Sugar in the bloodstream leads to a process called “glycation,” in which sugar molecules damage the collagen and elastin (responsible for suppleness and firmness) in our skin. Cutting down glucose will eliminate insulin spikes which will eventually lower down inflammation of the skin and you can get your youthful glow back within two weeks. So, when you cut back on sugar, you can say bye bye to acne and wrinkles for as long as you want.
4. Overcleansing: If you think cleansing your face every now and then will keep your skin looking good and radiant, you are wrong because cleansing too frequently would dries out the skin excessively, making it stretchy and parched. It is advised to cleanse your face using a cleanser early in the morning and once before going to bed, and that’s about it! You can simply wash your face with water if it looks dull.
5. Using Alcohol-Based Products: We all know alcohol strips our off natural oils and makes it look dehydrated. Our skin in winters can get really dry and using alcohol-based products can worsen the matters further. So, try to avoid products that have alcohol in them like in your cleansers, toners, etc.
6. Sleeping on Dirty Pillows: Don’t we all love to oil our hair, keep it overnight, and then wash it off the next morning – to keep hair smooth and silky! But do you change the pillow cover the next day? Oil attracts dust, dirt and bacteria and sleeping on the same pillow cover the next day may cause breakouts. Even if you do not oil your hair overnight, pillows do gather up grime over a period of time and if you sleep face down on pillows like me, it’s a nightmare! Keep changing your pillow covers, at least once or twice a week. Also, change your face towels frequently too.
7. Too Much Exposure To Blue Light From Phones and Computer: While we know that large phone screens that constantly come in contact with your skin can transfer bacteria and microbes that can cause breakouts and irritation, there’s a larger problem lurking around – blue light from gadgets (phone, laptop), can cause premature ageing, degeneration of collagen, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkles. So, it’s time to cut down screen time and save your skin.
8. Compromising with Sleep Quality: Less than 8-10 hours of skin can create havoc on your body and sin. Sleep deprivation can lead to various skin conditions including acne and psoriasis. Sleeping helps to repair the damaged cells that ultimately slows down the ageing process over skin. Getting enough sleep can bless you with youthful and gorgeous skin.
9. Sleeping with Makeup On: You must have heard it for umpteen times now, but on some days, we might feel too tired to take the makeup off. We would think that it might be just a tinted moisturizer and it wouldn’t do any harm, but makeup would clog pores, leading to breakouts and pimples. Even if you do not have acne-prone skin, your skin needs to breathe through the night to replenish and rejuvenate itself and sleeping with makeup on acts as a hindrance and damages the skin, so never sleep with makeup on