Sombu kashayam, a perfect home remedy for various symptoms, especially for ladies. This drink is also had during pregnancy .
Sombu kashayam, fennel seeds drink which has many health benefits as well as comes handy as home remedy.
This is also known as karukku kashayam. Sombu (soambu) is also known as perujeeragam).
- Relieves bloating
- Lower stomach pain due to heat
- Helps reducing symptoms like pain/ cramps during menstrual cycle.
- Reduces pain due to inflammation
- Helps with digestion
and many more…
Every month during mid of the menstrual cycle, due to my harmonal imbalance, I get back ache and lower abdomen pain due to heat, bloating etc.
Once my mom suggested to try this drink couple of times a day when I have symptoms. I know sombu kashayam is given during pregnancy for women, when they get false pain, they prepare this karukku kashayam and consume.
If it is heat pain, you will get instant relief. People also suggest it is good for normal delivery.
But I believe there is something to do with harmonal issues, that’s why past couple of months, I have it monthly twice during my cycle for relief of heat pain and back ache, body pain due to inflammation.
So do you have ovulation pain or heat pain (lower tummy pain) during your cycle as well?
Do give it a try and see if it works for you. It has been really frustrating to have such pain once in 10-15 days during your cycle and finally this is working for me to a satisfying extent for me.
Trust me, before this, I have tried many things. It’s really hard to notice the time and avoid certain food which may worsen these pain. I always end up missing to take precaution and suffer the pain.
I have tried including ingredients like curry leaves in my everyday diet like karuveppilai podi, fenugreek seeds soaked in buttermilk overnight, etc but this has done wonders recently.
Apart from this, fennel seeds have numerous health benefits like aiding digestion, relief for bloating, helps with weight loss, for pain due to inflammation etc.
Disclaimer: This has worked for me personally, but if you are in doubt, please consult your doctor or elders before consuming this drink. I by no means an expert or anything, just shared my experience.
Is video more your thing? Check out my quick video
- Butter – I have always consumed with butter. But you can also use desi homemade ghee.
- Sweetener – add palm jaggery (karupatti) best or palm sugar candy (panam kalkandu). You can also try jaggery if you do not have either of these.
See this milagu kashayam recipe on my website, an easy home remedy for body pain, fever and cough due to common cold.
It is always better to make it fresh and consume as I am not sure if we can re-heat kashayam.
This kashayam drink is also called karukku kashayam, so it is supposed to be roasted until black. It should pop well and get roasted.
Sombu kashayam recipe
Sombu kashayam, a perfect home remedy for various symptoms, like lower abdomen pain during ovulation time, heat pain, body pain, back pain during your cycle.
- 1 tablespoon Fennel seeds Sombu
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Butter or Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Palm sugar candy or Karupatti/ palm jaggery
Prevent your screen from going dark
Heat a large pan firstly to boil kashayam.
Add fennel seeds to it and roast well.
It will pop well, keep stirring until popping stops and turns dark.
Add water and mix well. Bring to boil and simmer 5-7 mins or until water reduces to half cup.
Filter through a metal strainer and mix palm sugar candy (panam kalkandu) or any sweetener you are using.
In goes butter or ghee and mix well. Consume warm.
- Let the kashayam be hot when you mix butter or ghee.
1. Heat a large pan firstly to boil kashayam.
2. Add fennel seeds to it and roast well.
3. It will pop well, keep stirring until popping stops and turns dark.
4. Add water and mix well. Bring to boil.
5. Simmer 5-7 mins or until water reduces to half cup.
6. Filter through a metal strainer.
7. Mix palm sugar candy (panam kalkandu) or any sweetener you are using.
8. In goes butter or ghee and mix well.
9. Consume warm.
You can repeat this two times a day. I have had 2 days maximum. If symptoms persists, please consult doctor.